Monday, November 21, 2005

Call for help to make a bug repeatable

I have found a bug which disallows me to log in with a user, after I have created and deleted another user. After restarting the server, I can log in again as if there never was a problem. I have reported this bug to

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=14829

I have tried to create a repeatable case and I made it to create a situation, where I could reproduce this bug on 3 different machines. Unfortunately, when Miguel Solorzano tries to repeat this, it still works - although we have already checked out that everything is completely identical.

So I'm asking for help to find out more details to reproduce this. If you have a Windows (2000 or XP) test server available that you can play around with, please try the following:

* Install MySQL 5.0.15, if possible to c:\mysql
* download and install this my.ini file
* download the dump file from dump_mysql.sql and put it to C:
Log in as root (without password) and delete the test database and the contents from the mysql.db table:

drop database test;
delete from mysql.db;
flush privileges;

Then do the following steps, starting from C:
C:\>mysql -u root mysql < dump_mysql.sql

C:\>mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges

C:\>mysql -u root
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 7 to server version: 5.0.15-nt-max

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> create user user@localhost;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> drop user user@localhost;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye

C:\>mysql -u mpopp

... if everything works "fine" (to say, you can reproduce the bug), you should get following message:

ERROR 1130 (HY000): #HY000Host 'localhost' is not allowed to connect to this
MySQL server

After restarting the server, you should be able to log in as user mpopp.

If you find any clue why this bug still doesn't occur on all installations (under the given conditions), please add a comment to the bug report. Please let me know, if you can or cannot reproduce it and mail me at m.popp@db4free.net. Thanks to all who help :-).

No comments: