Monday, January 16, 2006

Everybody can post comments again ;-) ...

... as long as they are related to MySQL or database topics.

Unfortunately, there were often comments on my articles that were just spam and they had nothing to do with MySQL or databases at all. I always deleted them manually and one day I decided to only allow comments to people who are logged in.

But I received quite a lot of feedback from people who wanted to post relevant comments, but they didn't have an account and so couldn't answer. Now I have changed the setting back to its original state, because I'm quite curious about what people think about what I write and so, they should have a chance to tell me and the blog's readers :-).

5 comments:

Andrew Gilfrin said...

That's a great blog you have there..... but seriously I think it's good you have opened it back up, I know I have often felt like commenting on peoples blogs but when I get the comment section and it wants me to sign up I lose a lot of my initial desire to post.

I've also had a fair amount of blog spam but in the main it's fairly innocuous and only takes a second to remove it, once the initial flood is over old posts don't seem to attract new spam too often.

Markus Popp said...

Hi Andrew,

yesterday I met Arjen Lentz in the MySQL IRC chat (irc://irc.freenode.net/mysql) and he made me aware of the monitoring options. So now I will be notified if somebody writes a comment and I can very quickly publish or refuse it. Very practical thing :-).

rpbouman said...

Hi, that's a great blog you have there! I was just searching for some info on SPAM when you blog cut my eye. So, I am really going o bookmark you and stuff and maybe you just might wanna check out my homepage.

Andrew Gilfrin said...

Of course, I noticed the monitoring option when I made my comment, that does seem a good way to do things. You personally still get the spam but it doesn't get as far as getting onto the blog.

Aniket said...

hi...i am preparing a GPS system and am using MySQL.Is it possible to have the MySQL and the database running on a CDROM(alongwith a Linux OS) and querying it from a C IDE(KDevelop)??