Thursday, May 18, 2006

Joined the MySQL web development team

Yesterday I have officially joined the MySQL web development team. During the Users Conference three weeks ago I have talked with Eric Braswell about joining the team and just after the Conference finished, he promised me the job offer. This was the perfect ending of a Users Conference that has also started incredibly perfect when I was awarded with the MySQL Community Award "Writer of the Year 2006". The last month was just absolutely fantastic!

It's such a great feeling to work for a company that I can fully identify with. I love the MySQL database server and I want MySQL to be the best database server of the world. I love the spirit of freedom that comes with Open Source and to work with people from all over the world who have the same goal in mind: providing the best, but still free database server of the world. I love to use English (which is not my native language) as working language and I love to learn new things. Even though I live in quite a remote area with no big city in a radius of more than 100 km, I can be part of a "huge world wide thing". Many other people of my age in this area have moved to Vienna or other urban areas to find good jobs. I got a great job that I can do at home - what more can I want? I will get the opportunity to travel and see new parts of the world. And I can arrange my working hours to work very much at night, which is the most convenient working time for me (which gives me the chance to do other things while most people work). There are many great things about working for MySQL!

However, the job will definitely not be easy and will include many big challenges. It's a high responsibility to provide a good service and there will be many technical issues that will be new for me. But of course it's also a perfect opportunity to learn a lot - and I'll do my best to get a good job done!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, a good match you and MySQL make.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - this sounds like a really great opportunity!

Frank said...

Hey my friend,

Many congratulations on your new job. Now that you are a "big man" don't forget us ;)

Frank

Markus Popp said...

Thank you all very much! And don't worry - I'll definitely continue my Community work. That's another great thing about the job that Eric and the company explicitly want me to continue all of this (and so do I, of course) and it's in no conflict with the job at all - just the opposite!

Anonymous said...

Yeah man - congratulations!

rpbouman said...

Hi Markus,

congratulations, wish you all the best in your new job!

I hope db4free will remain as it is though?

Markus Popp said...

Thank you very much, Augusto and Roland!

And don't worry about db4free ;-).

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard! :) I'm so pleased to see you join the team. You rock, Markus!

-jay

Markus Popp said...

Thank you, Jay :-)!

Markus Popp said...

Thank you very much, Sheeri!

I guess this job will also make it easier for me to visit Boston not too far away from now.

And I'll certainly try to arrange that my stay includes a 2nd Monday of a month :-).

Anonymous said...

Do you think it is coincidence that soon after blogging that you took a job where you would be learning some PostgreSQL that the MYSQL folks took you in house? Very crafty of them if you ask me :-)

Markus Popp said...

I don't think that has anything to do with this. I have quit the job that involved PostgreSQL before, and my job application for MySQL was completely independent from that and always of much higher priority than any other job.

There was also never a danger that I would quit my role in the MySQL Community because of the PostgreSQL related job - it even would have been a good opportunity to compare both products and blog about differences and which things that PostgreSQL offers could also make MySQL better. So my Community contribution has never been in danger (and also isn't now with my MySQL job) - it has just moved to a slightly different direction ;-).

I also think that it's good if there are people in the MySQL Community, who also work with other database systems. They have wider experiences and see things from different perspectives - that's certainly also very beneficial for MySQL.

Raj said...

Yeah man - Congrats!!!

Many congratulations on your new job.

Best Wishes
Web Develpment